25 October 2013

A Feminine, But Not Girly, Finish

This week I finished my second Korea-inspired quilt! Woohoo! The specific inspiration for this one was a railing at one of the palaces in Seoul, which is why I'm still calling it Gung Mun which means Palace Gate. I suppose I should call it Palace Railing but my Korean vocabulary is quite limited...

The inspiration

Anyway, here's the finished product:

It was finally sunny this morning so I could snap a pic!

Pattern: Designed by me! I made a tutorial for it and everything.
Finished Size: 45"x60"
Fabric: The center of each block is a fabric I got in Korea and the design was sort of made to showcase it. The peach, aqua, and white are all by Moda and found at my LQS. The backing is from the Perfectly Perched line by Laurie Wisbrun for Robert Kaufman, and for binding I did a two color magic binding deal with the peach and a marbled pink that I had lying around from another [currently unfinished] project.

You can see the quilting lines pretty well from the back

Quilting: straight line quilting to mirror the lines in the white using a variegated pink for the top and an aqua for the bobbin. This is the lightest quilting I've ever done by a long shot! In fact, at some point I might end up popping a few more lines in for good measure.
Batting: Quilter's Dream Puff - I haven't washed it yet, but I am expecting an epic crinkle.

magic binding and straight-ish line quilting

My favorite thing about this quilt is the way the colors turned out. It is the most feminine quilt I have made so far, but it doesn't feel girly. This is a grown woman's quilt!

Now if only I could convince the cats of that fact...




Linking to Finish it up Friday at crazymomquilts! For some unknown reason, I'm also entering this quilt into the Blogger's Quilt Festival in the Throw Quilt category.


6 comments:

  1. How unique this is! I love the colors and the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrtulations on your finish! The pattern is very original, great job!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I have told you yet how much I like this pattern. Nice finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what is it with cats and quilts? I can't say I blame them - this is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe!!!! Not getting them off your quilt. ;D Love this Korean inspiration.

    ReplyDelete