27 May 2015

How hard could it be?

Really freaking hard! That's how hard. *breathe* and now the backstory.

I'm getting married in a month. Some time significantly earlier in the wedding planning process I thought it would be really cool to make my own ties and pocket squares for the groomsmen to wear at the wedding and then have them be the groomsmens' gifts. I made some test ties with pretty good success and decided that yes, this was feasible.

Practice. I'm shooting for slightly skinnier than the one on the right for the final product.

Yesterday, I tried to make a pocket square. I thought to myself "it is literally a square of fabric with a hemmed edge, how hard could it be?" Famous last words. Turns out, it is way harder than it looks. I only got one side done and it looks like a blind, one-handed monkey sewed it. My new plan is to machine sew it because I apparently cannot hand sew. It is also shockingly difficult to cut out a perfect square of satin. I used my rotary cutter and that was not successful. I'm going to make a square template and use scissors on the rest of these suckers (which honestly seems ridiculous, it's a square for crying out loud!).

It actually doesn't look that bad in this picture.

Like I said, blind monkey.

I really don't want "homemade/handmade" to be a synonym for "kind of shitty" like it so often is (in my opinion). At the same time I am very stubborn so I don't want to give up and buy pocket squares. *sigh* To Be Continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment