07 April 2015

True Colors Kit Deviation and Rainy Wishes

I have two completed tops to share this week so it's both a finish and a WIP. First is the Rainy Wishes top. I did a lot of rearranging of these blocks and I am pleased with the final layout, more or less ^_^

Rainy Wishes top complete!

I also am super happy that I decided to change up the True Colors pattern. I ended up having to order an extra half yard of the white background fabric and a fat quarter of the pink for the centers of the stars in order to expand the pattern, which is not bad considering I increased the quilt size by about 20%.

Now it's a queen size

I really really lucked out and had enough of the purple left to fussy cut that outermost border and miter the borders.

Mitered corners!

For finishing, I have a grey flannel for Rainy Wishes and intend to use a variegated grey for the quilting. I don't know what I'm going to do for binding. Maybe a solid blue? Maybe scrappy and just use up every last bit of this fabric? I got a light gray and white swirl in a 108" wide backing for the True Colors kit and I'm either going to use the suggested purple woodgrain as the binding or a solid black. I have no idea what kind of thread or quilting to do at all and I only have about 3 weeks to figure it out!

Backings and a potential binding ready to go...


                    

Finish it Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts



6 comments:

  1. I love the layout for your true colors quilt! I like the way the colors flow, and the two different blocks. I think the purple woodgrain would make a great binding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It´s great how you used the big-pattern fabrics. Thanks for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your wishes quilt! I have my top finished too and need to work on quilting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love the True Colours quilt! The colours are so vibrant and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of your tops are beautiful, Libby.... But that True Colours quilt is simply amazing! I love the layout your decided on and the borders finish it off perfectly. These are both going to be such pretty quilts!

    ReplyDelete