06 March 2013

Classy as F***

Someday, when I'm a rich doctor, I will probably have to go to functions where they serve wine or some such thing. Even if I go the professor route I will still have to go to scientific conferences which I know involve cocktail hours of the wine/beer/no actual cocktails variety. This is a problem for me because I only like mixed drinks and hard cider. I could abstain, but that's kind of awkward, especially when people keep asking you if you need a drink...

And so, in anticipation of one day belonging to a fancy pants social class, I have been training myself to be more cultured by learning to drink wine and going to classy things, like the theater. I am also working on changing my attitude on art from "art is just an excuse for ugly and weird" to something more along the lines of appreciation, it's an uphill battle. Last year I went to the symphony and two ballets and have discovered that moscato is kind of okay. I also did this over the summer and it was awesome!

This past weekend, however, I really dove headlong into the classy thing. Friday night I went to the Theatre (yes, re not er. It's fancy, remember?) and saw a Pulitzer Prize winning play called "You Can't Take It With You" and I liked it. Afterwards, meimei and I hosted a wine and cheese party. We had 4 wines, 5 cheeses (with note cards to tell us which ones went together *cough*engineer*cough*), strawberries, and crackers. Also, we had a fire and classical music on the radio.

Cheese: gouda, fontina, gruyere, extra sharp cheddar, and herb marinated mozzarella
Wine: Chianti, Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, and Shiraz

And then, as luck would have it, I got a free pair of tickets to a student production of "My Fair Lady" from one of my fellow anatomy TAs when I went in to dissect on Saturday. So Sunday afternoon I took my landlady to the theater (the show was really great and waaay funnier than the movie) and then I had a glass of the leftover wine with dinner to keep the classy going.

Yay free tickets!

At this rate, I should manage to weasel my way onto a yacht by the 4th of July. And yes, I did just decide that yachts are the epitome of classy. Although, it may be ruined a bit if I bust out singing "I'm on a Boat" in my T-Pain voice.

Worth it. Definitely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment