27 March 2013

I think I can, I think I can

This is the story of the little free motion quilter that could. Well, at least half way.

Concentric diamonds are waaaay easier than concentric circles

The throat on my sewing machine is what some might call tiny, perhaps even itty-bitty. This quilt is not small (about 65"x90") and so my grand vision of large, monodisperse, free motion Archimedes spirals has morphed into "consistently inconsistent" spirals. Although this photo only shows half the quilt, I've finished both spiral panels and am making headway on the last straight-line panel. All the sashing and the border is yet to be attempted but both are more or less planned. I also have an idea for those big empty diamonds (hint: it's seahorses!).

Half-inch spacing seemed like a better idea before I started.

With any luck I will be binding this weekend, especially if I can commandeer the kitchen table again. I think I can, I think I can...

I'm linking to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

5 comments:

  1. Love your quilting. Makes the top look so dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...I KNOW you can! :0) Love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed by your quilting. It is fabulous and has inspired me to try and do better. If you can do such great work on such a huge quilt with such a small work area I should be able to do something more than straight lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! FMQ isn't that bad but it does take a little practice and some occasional un-sewing. Try it, you might just like it ;)

      Delete
  4. What you've done looks great! I feel your pain on the small machines. (BTW, we bought some clippers and I started shearing Elvis today. He is not as amiable as Admiral was.)

    ReplyDelete